What is this blog all about?
This is my little corner on the Internet, where I jot down my thoughts on things that I care about.
Even though I study computer science and work as a software engineer, most of the posts will not be technical. Instead, I geek out over psychology, fitness, mental health, travels, relationships, money, books, podcasts, and so much more. If I were to summarize the topics in one sentence, they are things that young professionals (i.e. me) ponder a lot about but don't have a strong handle on. Note that the blog also contains posts I've written before the 2020 blog revamp. There are posts from when I was in college, high school, or even middle school. I may sound like a different person back then. :)
I'm by no means an expert. I'm just a student of life. I'm sharing my first-hand learning experience as I go. Maybe my writing can help a few people along the way.
Tell me a bit about yourself.
Hello! I'm Stephen. During the day, I write code and build cool things. At night, you can find me watching sports, listening to podcasts, and binging on educational YouTube channels. Weekends are all about hanging out with friends, working out, hiking, biking, cooking, trying new restaurants, and of course, writing.
You can learn more about my professional experience on my LinkedIn.
You can hear my stream of consciousness on my Twitter.
What are your projects?
I'm a big fan of personal projects. Since 2010, I've made 8 web apps with 500,000 users to date. I built them to scratch my own itch. A few got popular. Many more are dead.
- iTunes Instant lets you search for songs, movies, TV shows, and apps quickly. Press: Mashable, Fast Company, The Atlantic, Gizmodo, ZDNet.
- Artsy Editor is a WordPress WYSIWYG editor that has been profitable since day 1. Press: The Next Web, TechInch, TechProne.
- TwtRoulette helps you find interesting people to follow on Twitter. Press: Forbes, TechCrunch, Huffington Post, PCMag, Business Insider.
- NeedNumbers auto-imports contacts from Facebook groups to your phone. Press: TechCrunch.
- ACPark is a local park finder for Alameda County, built at a hackathon. Press: ACGov, Mercury News, GovTech, Socrata.
- Ohboard is a whiteboard Chrome extension for ideating and wire-framing. Press: KillerStartups.
- SocialBusinessCard converts your social media profiles into business cards.
- OneExtraLap is a social quizzing site. It was my first crack at creating a web app. Despite the lack of users, it taught me so much.
Where are you from?
Born in Kaiping, China, I had the good fortune to come to the US in 2008. Although I didn't speak any English, I became fluent in 2 years thanks to my patient teachers, supportive family, and a lot of hard work. Here's the full story.
How long have you been writing?
I've been writing since 2010. Even though I redesigned this blog in 2020, I put pretty much every post I've written, from various difference sources, on this blog. I want this place to be an archive of my writings.
What brought you here?
Thank you for stopping by! I would love to learn what brought you here. I want to hear your stories, your interests, and your questions.
How can I help you?
So many people have helped me get to where I am today. I want to do the same for you. If you have questions about software engineering, entrepreneurship, app design/development, college admission, studying in the US, email me at email@example.com!